Wednesday, April 8, 2009

What My Daughter Eats



I often get stopped by many clients who ask what I eat, what my wife eats or what my daughter eats. I came across my daughter this week eating a hardy breakfast and decided to snap her picture. Good nutrition is a top priority in the Christoff household.

Unfortunately, many parents I talk to (and I enjoy all the conversations I have with them) get confused as to how my daughter avoids the processed foods of our modern era. My daughter has no money, cannot drive a car and cannot make it to a grocery store. The food she is given, is the food she eats. The parents are in charge of what is brought into the house. Simple stuff.

Many parents know that feeding a McDonald's hamburger to a family pet would end in a mess of diarrhea and vomit on the kitchen floor in the morning yet that does not stop some parents from feeding their children the exact same foods. In a world that begs for complicated answers, the simple solutions and explanations are often overlooked. If it is not in the house, it can't be eaten.

My daughter was at a birthday recently and my wife decided to provide her with her first piece of birthday cake (after nearly 3 years of always keeping it away from her) and guess what happened? She tried the cake, pushed it away and asked her Mom for more broccoli. If they never have sugary food.............they just don't know. She may get a hold of it eventually but that is no reason to feed it to her today.

Yes, the North American rights of passage sometimes rotate around unhealthy foods but I look to the other North American rights of passage that come with that food (the disease, the weight gain, the mood disorders, the dysfunction etc) for my motivation to stay strong when it comes to what we feed our daughter.

If it ever came down to it.......it is organic food before all toys, movies, games, extra sets of clothes and anything else not essential to survival. Health is not a luxury, the toys are. I have seen kids driving miniature mechanized cars worth $600 while they are drinking Strawberry Quick! In North America it appears the toys are mandatory and healthy children are an after thought.

My daughter's breakfast above is a hard boiled egg (boiled in spring water and in a stainless steel pot) with some broccoli sprouts, turmeric, sea salt and organic garlic powder. We add certain vitamins to her egg as well. She also loves sprouted mung beans. Those are the green things in the bowl. Sprouted beans and seeds possess higher nutritional values. Sprouting also develops properties that aid with digestion and overall health. She has a spoon full of omega 3 fish oil every morning and she is also having a good helping of organic cashews and organic blueberries.

These are the foods she is used to and these are the foods she asks for everywhere we go. We just bring all her food with us. Having a sick child is expensive, heart breaking, stressful and time consuming. We just always look toward what happens when kids are not healthy to make sure we understand why we go to all the extra effort. Times have changed and cooking full meals is all we do. We focus all our efforts on freshly prepared meals for the entire family.

This is the extra effort I talk of, as the breakfast on my daughter's plate costs less than a bagel and coffee at Tim Horton's. It is never a matter of money. Being healthy is less expensive in every imaginable way. Money never matters because you can't BUY a healthy lifestyle. You need to DO a healthy lifestyle. Why work so hard when money can't get you the most important things in life.

There are just too many dangers with regular processed foods, which are more chemical than mineral. (and getting worse everyday) The dangers of just one piece of processed food is in the thousands and this new movie (set to be released this summer) tells all about those dangers. Here is the 3 minute trailer of this amazing new movie.



Given that what I ate during my lifetime effects my daughter and even her children, I really started watching my diet as soon as I was aware of the information in the documentary clip displayed below. This video link is just a short clip of a complete documentary proving that what your grandmother ate affects your genes, the genes of your children and many generations after that.



Good nutrition is the most important part of a child's life.



If you want to learn all the secrets of healthy living come to Physical Limits Fitness and get the ball rolling. Today is always the best day to start. Call 613 932 4766 and get started with our trial offer of $10 for 1 month. The best of health to you and your family.

No comments: